From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo-desktop howto fix-up
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:55:47
foser wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 00:26, munky@××××××.com wrote: > >> We should >>describe the window managers and state pros and cons about them. > > > This is fairly subjective. I personally think we should only be > mentioning the major DE's (GNOME,KDE & maybe XFCE) as complete > solutions. The aim should be to inform of what is useful to a big > majority, not to cover everything out there.
I think it would be useful to cover these and others, and I think it's possible to do it in a nonsubjective (or barely subjective) way. Take the following for example: "If you are looking for a complete desktop solution that comes close to approximating what you would get out of the box from Windows, try GNOME or KDE. They both have fairly mature component applications, and either will work well for a full-featured desktop environment. Note that these are large application sets, and will take a long time to merge. GNOME and KDE also don't share a common toolset, so applications written for KDE will look and act differently than those written for GNOME. XFCE is a relative newcomer to the full-featured desktop world, and focuses on speed. It is more lightweight than the others, although it shares many of the most useful features (note: I don't know XFCE, I've never used it.) On the other hand, if you are looking for a more unix-y environment that will stay out of your way and give you the ultimate customizability and speed, you might consider something like WindowMaker or BlackBox.... (yada yada, here's the differences, here's their reputations, here's what they're good for, yada yada)" Maybe this helps? -- Joel Konkle-Parker Webmaster [Ballsome.com] Phone [+1 662-518-1636] E-mail [jjk3@×××××××.edu] -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list