From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] IMPORTANT definitions draft
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:53:15
dams@×××.fr wrote:
> yo, this is a first attempt to write definitions and rules. Please correct my > bad english, bring new ideas, precisions, and critics :) Thanks > > * Problem that might be handled by desktop-research > [anybody has a better title?]
Field[Issues] of Interest
> > > A problem is in our field of action if it's about desktop, that is : client > side, end-user oriented workstation use. Basically, that's everything UI > oriented, plus hardware managment, installation problems, simple system > managment, as long as it is client-side oriented, that is, as long as it > doesn't use servers. > > Examples: > setting internet/lan connection is desktop, but setting a ftp server is not. > setting sound card, graphic card is desktop, setting hardware RAID is not (well > actually it's becoming pretty widely used, so it might become shortly) > > > * Problem resolution >
Discussion could take place both irc or ml, the irc discussion result should be mailed. Timeline #Discussion/planning phase
> - throw a description here, verify validity > - preliminary discussion here
#Prototype phase [no strict deadlines/roadmap] - Prepare a testcase or a little code snippet to let everybody play with possible solution. - With the help of the other insterested in (small groups or everybody) let's try to get a fully working program. #Revision phase [strict deadline]
> - add a new task : at least some time to research further (with a milestone), > and some time to find a solution (with milestone). > - assign people tio the task, set up deadlines
#Project tracking
> - once the planning phase end with approval. the thing should end up to a GLEP
- the d-r site should host a little summary of every project with phases and timings once we are in the Proto phase.(refer to the taskchart to have an example).
> ok this whole thing is not good enough, we need to make it better
Here my additions, please fix/extend it.