From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] One research problem we could research
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 13:22:34

On Thursday 09 October 2003 15:09, foser wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 11:21, Paul de Vrieze wrote: > > I have one thing we might opt to research (after we have the project > > procedures done). We might want to look into making good-looking fonts > > available standardly. > > This is already being worked on, but we're waiting for some improvements > in the xfree/fontconfig area to make this happen. It just isn't powerful > enough at the moment.
If that is the only way then we might come to the conclusion that the best solution is to wait. I do think though that at least good documentation might be another solution.
> Anyway, this suggestion is very western centered, if you mess with > defaults you might easily end up with weird results for non-western > users. >
I did not mean to be western-centered. I was suggesting that we look into improving the fonts. I don't want non-western fonts to be looking worse because of it. Actually did you try sometime to run konsole with LC_CTYPE="zh_CN", it is really ugly, and it should be possible to fix this.
> You should install exactly the same fonts to have the same effect and > thats also a question of installing windows fonts or not. KDE just has > bad font defaults, helvetica everywhere is just a bad choice. Current > fontconfig setups should solve most of these problems afaik. >
I agree that helvetica is a bad choice, but we might look into making helvetica look not too bad at least in some cases