From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] new to the list
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:53:57
On Monday 26 January 2004 21:45, Eli M. Dow wrote:
> Hi everyone, > > I am one of the co-authors of the pen2 project. I was wondering what > people were thinking currently about the goals of a sanctioned gentoo > graphical installer. > > I don't have time to read the backlogs of this mailing list as my > semester is well underway. It would be excellent if someone could hit me > with a cluestick about the current consensus. > > I would also like to answer any questions people might have about pen2 > and its design decisions. > > Please look at for those who haven't > heard of us or what we are trying to accomplish. > > Anonymous CVS should be set up soon hopefully. A private internal cvs > server was used since this was for course credit. We also hope to have a > FAQ set up soon as well.
You're project has allready hit the list. I think it is a good start. Currently we are mainly focussing on what we want from an installer. It will probably be some kind of hands-on installer with lots of flexibility. You are more than welcome to participate in the discussion (and later implementation). We are not really ready for implementation, but when we have decided on the features/design we can certainly try to incorporate pen2 into the installer. From my impression the pen2 installer is mainly aimed at providing an easy procedure. In general gentoo tries to have the first point of allowing choice. From that respect I think that more choice would be desired in the installer, but I think pen2 is indeed a good start. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage:

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] new to the list "Eli M. Dow" <dowem@××××××××.edu>