From: Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Network access to a CUPS printer
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:55:46
1 Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> wrote:
2 > * "ipp://hostname/printers/printername" which in my case would
3 > be "ipp://vishnu.fmp.com/printers/hpdj_1120c (or I can substitute
4 > the LAN IP address for the hostname)
5 >
6 > * "http://hostname:631/ipp/queue" which appears to translate to
7 > "http://vishnu.fmp.com:631/ipp/queue" with no specification
8 > for the printer in the URI. Since the hpdj_1120c doesn't have a
9 > queue specified in cups, I assume this URI should be used
10 > literally.
11
12 I've done this with great success. On my Linux box, for example, I
13 have a printer called "Engineering", and I use the following URI
14 in my WinXP box (running inside a VM):
15
16 http://10.8.50.71:631/printers/Engineering
17
18 Notice how it's a clever combination of the two URI's you mentioned
19 above. I don't remember where I saw this, but it was on some CUPS page
20 I found via google in the past... Perhaps here[1]...
21
22 It should connect and let you pick the driver. I personally found it
23 useful to choose Generic / MS Publisher Imagesetter. If you actually
24 want to use the real HP client-side driver, the same article[1]
25 mentions how to enable raw printing on the cups server, but I've never
26 done that.
27
28 [1] http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html
29
30 Enjoy!
33 Jim Ramsay
34 Gentoo Developer (rox/fluxbox/gkrellm)