From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: xorg 7.1 rc2, zooming known to be broken? [SOLVED font rendering]
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 10:09:53
1 Marc Koschewski <marc@×××××××××××.org> posted
2 20060524201724.GA10991@××××××××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Wed,
3 24 May 2006 22:17:24 +0200:
4
5 > * Marc Koschewski <marc@×××××××××××.org> [2006-05-09 18:12:48 +0200]:
6 >
7 >> * Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> [2006-05-09 08:54:44 -0700]:
8 >>
9 >> > OK, I'm testing xorg 7.1 rc2 (xorg-server-1.0.99.902-r1 and friends).
10 >> >
11 >> > EXA acceleration and composite ROCKS! =8^) Transparency and the other
12 >> > composite tricks now use virtually no more CPU than with composite
13 >> > disabled, at least on a Radeon 9200SE using the native xorg ati driver,
14 >> > with dual monitors in merged framebuffer mode, on SMP Opteron 242s,
15 >> > compiled with gcc-4.1.0. No more constant 50% of one CPU, as with 7.0!
16 >> >
17 >> > The biggest (only) problem so far is that the normal zoom keys
18 >> > (CTRL-ALT-NUMPLUS/NUMMINUS) have no effect. Is that a known issue, or do
19 >> > I need to file an upstream bug? I had tried the (less stable) rc1
20 >> > (.99.901) for a day or so, and saw the problem there, but didn't worry too
21 >> > much since that was only rc1. I'm getting worried since it's still there
22 >> > in rc2, worried enough to ask about it. I use that feature enough to
23 >> > definitely miss it!
24 >>
25 >> I use xbindkeys and transset-df for that ... am I missing something?
26 >>
27 >> BTW, font rendering with NVidia kernel driver is still crappy. Is there a
28 >> workaround somewhere besides using the nv module?
29 >
30 > Font rendering is ok now with the NVidia module when
31 >
32 > Option "RenderAccel" "false"
33 >
34 > is set in xorg.conf.
35
36 Glad yours is solved. Mine isn't. I never did get that bug filed, and 7.1
37 zoom still doesn't work at least here.
38
39 I'm contemplating trying to contact the developers for the ATI/Radeon
40 driver directly, and offer to be an active tester, given the somewhat
41 unusual setup I run. (AMD64 Dual Opteron, 8 gig memory, dual monitors on a
42 single AGP Radeon 92xx in merged framebuffer mode. Potentially second
43 Radeon 92xx on PCI, again dual monitor, for four monitors on two cards,
44 only I've never gotten that to work tho the Radeon driver is supposed to
45 support it.) I figure it's rare enough they probably can't test that
46 configuration, so if I could run tests for them during development, I'd
47 both learn a lot more about how the system works, and end up with a better
48 and more stable release experience.
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
58 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list