From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] *kit free desktop profile
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 09:02:45
1 Le Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:08:55 -0500,
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> a écrit :
3
4 > On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Dominique Michel
5 > <dominique.michel@××××××.ch> wrote:
6 > > It is at least 20 window managers / desktops in gentoo that know
7 > > nothing about sys-auth/polkit, or can be installed without it,
8 > > including ROX, Razor-QT, XFCE, afterstep, *box, enlightenement,
9 > > fluxbox, fvwm, fvwm-crystal and wmaker.
10 >
11 > As you yourself mention it, most of them are *window managers*, not
12 > *desktop environments*. Of the ones above that undoubtedly qualify as
13 > desktop environments (like Xfce), they can (and do) use polkit, even
14 > if it is configurable.
15
16 Another one is fvwm-crystal, and it know nothing about *kit.
19 > > But, and this is a big but, the 3 desktop profiles in portage
20 > > depend on polkit.
21 >
22 > Because they are desktop environments, not only window managers.
23
24 No, because big companies need the functionalities in polkit, and also
25 because it is no alternative at that time for those functionalities.
28 > > A desktop profile that doesn't depend on polkit can be easily done
29 > > from the desktop profile with the following USE changes:
30 > >
31 > > USE="-consolekit -policykit -udisks -upower"
32 > >
33 > > Can such a desktop profile be incorporated in portage?
34 >
35 > You can roll your own profile in /etc/portage/profile. Also, you can
36 > set "-consolekit -policykit -udisks -upower" in
37 > /etc/portage/make.conf.
38 >
39 > The idea of the profiles (AFAIU), is to get a sensible set of defaults
40 > for the *majority* of users. In the case of desktop users, this means
41 > GNOME, KDE, and probably Xfce. You don't really need a profile per
42 > every single window manager in the universe. You don't get a profile
43 > for Emacs and another for vi. Hell, we systemd users don't have a
44 > systemd profile (and honestly, I don't think we need it).
45 >
46 > You don't want the kits? Mask them in /etc/portage/make.conf. Even
47 > when I use the GNOME progile, that doesn't mask everything
48 > KDE-related; I need to explicitly put "-kde -qt4" in my USE flags. I
49 > don't think a gnome-only-and-please-exorcise-kde-and-qt-from-my-system
50 > profile is necessary. Likewise, I don't think a
51 > desktop-but-please-dont-wanna-use-kits profiles is worth the inodes it
52 > would waste.
53
54 gnome and kde users have their profiles. Users of other desktops that
55 need "kit can use the desktop profile. But it is no profile for users
56 that want to use a wm or a desktop that doesn't hard depend on *kit.
57
58 I am not the only one that doesn't like and doesn't want stuffs like
59 *kit. They are a waste of resources and cause regressions (startx that
60 doesn't work any more without running *kit, automounting that doesn't
61 work when it was working before), without to mention the fact that
62 polkit is totally unmanageable for one that doesn't know java script
63 very well. In one word, *kit is completely idiotic for many
64 (most?) users.
65
66 It is alternatives for auto-mounting and power management, alternatives
67 that just can do the job for most users, and without the need to run
68 daemons and to incorporate a java script interpreter into the core of
69 the system.
70
71 Again, the only ones that really need the functionalities provided by
72 *kit are big companies. All the other users do have more interesting
73 things to do than to learn java script, and they don't will pay for
74 managing their system either.
75
76 So, definitely, I don't want polkit and I am not the only one.
77 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-933724-highlight-.html
80 > My 0.02 ${CURRENCY}? Set your USE flag, like everyone else.
81
82 It is what I have done.
83 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-938680-highlight-.html
84