From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] *kit free desktop profile
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:03:03
1 On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Dominique Michel
2 <dominique.michel@××××××.ch> wrote:
3 > It is at least 20 window managers / desktops in gentoo that know
4 > nothing about sys-auth/polkit, or can be installed without it,
5 > including ROX, Razor-QT, XFCE, afterstep, *box, enlightenement, fluxbox,
6 > fvwm, fvwm-crystal and wmaker.
7
8 As you yourself mention it, most of them are *window managers*, not
9 *desktop environments*. Of the ones above that undoubtedly qualify as
10 desktop environments (like Xfce), they can (and do) use polkit, even
11 if it is configurable.
12
13 > But, and this is a big but, the 3 desktop profiles in portage depend on
14 > polkit.
15
16 Because they are desktop environments, not only window managers.
17
18 > A desktop profile that doesn't depend on polkit can be easily done from
19 > the desktop profile with the following USE changes:
20 >
21 > USE="-consolekit -policykit -udisks -upower"
22 >
23 > Can such a desktop profile be incorporated in portage?
24
25 You can roll your own profile in /etc/portage/profile. Also, you can
26 set "-consolekit -policykit -udisks -upower" in
27 /etc/portage/make.conf.
28
29 The idea of the profiles (AFAIU), is to get a sensible set of defaults
30 for the *majority* of users. In the case of desktop users, this means
31 GNOME, KDE, and probably Xfce. You don't really need a profile per
32 every single window manager in the universe. You don't get a profile
33 for Emacs and another for vi. Hell, we systemd users don't have a
34 systemd profile (and honestly, I don't think we need it).
35
36 You don't want the kits? Mask them in /etc/portage/make.conf. Even
37 when I use the GNOME progile, that doesn't mask everything
38 KDE-related; I need to explicitly put "-kde -qt4" in my USE flags. I
39 don't think a gnome-only-and-please-exorcise-kde-and-qt-from-my-system
40 profile is necessary. Likewise, I don't think a
41 desktop-but-please-dont-wanna-use-kits profiles is worth the inodes it
42 would waste.
43
44 My 0.02 ${CURRENCY}? Set your USE flag, like everyone else.
45
46 Regards.
47 --
48 Canek Peláez Valdés