From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: xf86-video-ati-6.8.0 ?
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 18:17:20
1 On 07:54 Wed 05 Mar , Duncan wrote:
2 > Rats on the dual-link, but thanks. I don't suppose there's anything else
3 > with freedomware drivers that handles it, either, right? That has sort
4 > of been the problem, AFAIK, until AMD/ATI's turn around, there basically
5 > /wasn't/ anything modern and free, at least other than Intel's onboard
6 > stuff.
7
8 Your best other shot is Intel.
9
10 > Do you happen to have any links to info on either reduced blanking, or
11 > even just the normal modeline differences and etc. for LCD? Maybe a
12 > LCDs for CRT users on Linux guide. I'm pretty clueless at this point,
13 > wondering about basics such as how non-native resolutions are handled,
14 > if, probably with some adjustments in what one plugs in, Cola's modeline
15 > generator might still work, etc, and it's not like I've seen a HOWTO or
16 > other articles on the subject, like the ones I learned RAID/LVM/IPTables/
17 > etc from. Thus if you could point me at something I'd sure be grateful!
18 > =8^)
19
20 Check Wikipedia, I know there's a reduced blanking entry.
21
22 LCDs generate modelines with a method (and tool) called cvt instead of
23 gtf. xorg-server installs it. Feel free to compare differences between
24 the two outputs.
25
26 Thanks,
27 Donnie