From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: xf86-video-ati-6.8.0 ?
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 07:54:58
1 Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> posted
2 20080305003202.GM2088@××××××××××××××××××××××××××.edu, excerpted below, on
3 Tue, 04 Mar 2008 16:32:02 -0800:
4
5 > Don't think the radeon driver does dual-link yet, although I could be
6 > wrong. With single link, you can do about 1900x1200 on a
7 > reduced-blanking mode. These modes were designed for LCDs so they should
8 > be fine on one.
9 >
10 > It's called reduced blanking because CRTs used to require the vertical
11 > blanking time to aim the gun back up to the top left of the monitor from
12 > the bottom right, but LCDs no longer require that.
13
14 Rats on the dual-link, but thanks. I don't suppose there's anything else
15 with freedomware drivers that handles it, either, right? That has sort
16 of been the problem, AFAIK, until AMD/ATI's turn around, there basically
17 /wasn't/ anything modern and free, at least other than Intel's onboard
18 stuff.
19
20 Do you happen to have any links to info on either reduced blanking, or
21 even just the normal modeline differences and etc. for LCD? Maybe a
22 LCDs for CRT users on Linux guide. I'm pretty clueless at this point,
23 wondering about basics such as how non-native resolutions are handled,
24 if, probably with some adjustments in what one plugs in, Cola's modeline
25 generator might still work, etc, and it's not like I've seen a HOWTO or
26 other articles on the subject, like the ones I learned RAID/LVM/IPTables/
27 etc from. Thus if you could point me at something I'd sure be grateful!
28 =8^)
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
36 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list