From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: xf86-video-ati-6.8.0 ?
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 00:32:07
1 On 23:52 Tue 04 Mar , Duncan wrote:
2 > Ahh... I had read the upstream changelog, but not Gentoo's. EXA not
3 > working on r200 could indeed be a problem here too, as that's what I'm
4 > currently using.
5 >
6 > Do you need any additional data or perhaps xorg logs (maybe with some
7 > sort of additional debugging enabled)? Upstream and Gentoo bug numbers?
8 > Does this seem to be on all r200s or just some of them? Etc. Surely
9 > they had tested on r200 and it worked on what they had tested? (...
10 > which would imply it's only some of them?)
13 additional data if you can reproduce the problem. I haven't filed any
14 bugs on the matter, but I have talked to one of the driver developers.
15 For me, this problem was rapid lockups of X when running gnome-terminal
16 and Firefox. I got it on both my Radeons, an 8500 and a 9600 Pro.
17
18 > would love to upgrade to something with dual dual-link DVI- D, and
19 > run, eventually, dual Apple Cinema 30" equivalents. Or is it possible
20 > to run them on single link each at a lower refresh (17 Hz or
21 > whatever), and is that actually usable (it wouldn't be on CRT, but
22 > might be on LCD)? Anyway, as best I can tell, I need an r300
23 > generation minimum, as it's simply not possible to do dual dual-link
24 > DVI out on the r200 generation.
25
26 Don't think the radeon driver does dual-link yet, although I could be
27 wrong. With single link, you can do about 1900x1200 on a
28 reduced-blanking mode. These modes were designed for LCDs so they should
29 be fine on one.
30
31 It's called reduced blanking because CRTs used to require the vertical
32 blanking time to aim the gun back up to the top left of the monitor from
33 the bottom right, but LCDs no longer require that.
34
35 Thanks,
36 Donnie
37 --