From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: xf86-video-ati-6.8.0 ?
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 23:52:45
1 Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> posted
2 20080304225819.GK2088@××××××××××××××××××××××××××.edu, excerpted below, on
3 Tue, 04 Mar 2008 14:58:19 -0800:
4
5 > Yes, please read the ChangeLog.
6
7 Ahh... I had read the upstream changelog, but not Gentoo's. EXA not
8 working on r200 could indeed be a problem here too, as that's what I'm
9 currently using.
10
11 Do you need any additional data or perhaps xorg logs (maybe with some
12 sort of additional debugging enabled)? Upstream and Gentoo bug numbers?
13 Does this seem to be on all r200s or just some of them? Etc. Surely
14 they had tested on r200 and it worked on what they had tested? (...
15 which would imply it's only some of them?)
16
17 As you say, quite awhile (relatively, given xorg was supposed to be more
18 active) since the last full release, so I'd love to see it work. =8^S
19 OTOH, r300 and r400 folks should be happy, with render accel finally. =8^)
20
21 Finally, professional opinion needed, is it worth upgrading past r200
22 now? I'm currently running a Radeon 9200SE-AGP, with IIRC a 9250 PCI as
23 a second (but not active) card. Both have dual out, DVI-I and VGA. I'm
24 running a VGA adaptor on the active card's DVI, and dual VGA CRTs in
25 1600x1200, but would love to upgrade to something with dual dual-link DVI-
26 D, and run, eventually, dual Apple Cinema 30" equivalents. Or is it
27 possible to run them on single link each at a lower refresh (17 Hz or
28 whatever), and is that actually usable (it wouldn't be on CRT, but might
29 be on LCD)? Anyway, as best I can tell, I need an r300 generation
30 minimum, as it's simply not possible to do dual dual-link DVI out on the
31 r200 generation. And yes, I know I'll be spending $3500-4000 US all told
32 (last I checked, I could get the LCDs for ~1750 each, so $3500 for them
33 plus video card), that's what the "eventually" is about. The only other
34 caveat is the system (dual dual-core Opteron 290s, 8 gigs RAM, so I'm not
35 ready to upgrade the base system any time soon) doesn't have PCI-E yet,
36 tho it does have PCI-X but I don't know any video cards for that so AGP
37 and if a second card is necessary, PCI.
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
45 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list