From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] kde-sunset
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 02:12:01
1 Am Donnerstag, 05.12.2013 um 21:52
2 schrieb Keiji Costantini <strites@×××××.com>:
3
4 > 2013/12/5 <wabenbau@×××××.com>
5 >
6 > > Hi folks,
7 > >
8 > > I was a KDE user for many years (starting with KDE version 0.4) but
9 > > since KDE4 ousted KDE3 I'm using XFCE.
10 > > Because I wanna have a "tree-mode" in my file manager, I'm using
11 > > nautilus instead of thunar. Now Gnome3 is marked stable and it seems
12 > > that Gnome2 is not longer supported. I don't like to upgrade my
13 > > installed gnome stuff to the new version and therefore I think about
14 > > installing the kde-sunset overlay because I always was happy with
15 > > KDE3.
18 > I have a living Kde3.5 on my notebook and Kde4.10 on my desktop. No
19 > question: Kde4 was a downgrade. Konqueror3 kicks ass on the castrated
20 > Konqueror4. Dolphin doesn't have half of the usability of Konqueror
21 > as a filemanager (I swear I tried to use it and had to switch to
22 > konqueror4)
23
24 That was also my opinion. Konqueror was slow (especially the scrolling)
25 and lacks many functions. Also the line pitch in the file area was too
26 big. I can't remember all details but I was really disaffected with it.
27 And dolphin was even worse.
30 > > Before I try to do this, I have some questions.
31 > >
32 > > 1. How secure is it to use KDE 3.5 from the kde-sunset overlay? Are
33 > > there maybe security leaks that are fixed in KDE4 but not in KDE
34 > > 3.5?
37 > For this probably there is no answer: kde3 was killed and almost all
38 > development ceased with the introduction of kde4. And so the bug
39 > huntings and the like.
40
41 That's what I'm worried about.
42
43 > > 2. I have some KDE4 programs installed. Do I have to uninstall all
44 > > KDE4 stuff before I can install KDE 3.5?
45 > >
46 > > No, they can go fine, but you may get a path problem since programs
47 > > that
48 > have the same name in kde3 or 4 will not play so nice (especially if
49 > you need the "wrong" one).
50
51 Ok, good to know this.
52
53 > > 3. Are there any other things that I have to take care of before I
54 > > install KDE 3.5?
57 > KDE 3.5 is built for HAL, which gentoo got rid of. So basically you
58 > will not get mounting and unmounting of devices at DE level (I use
59 > bashmount for that). Battery monitoring seems to work (but I don't
60 > remember exactly HOW and WHY)
61
62 I'm used to (u)mount my devices per hand. That's no problem. I also
63 made some small scripts which I can call with menu and with gkrellm.
64 As my computer is not a mobile device or laptop, I don't need no battery
65 monitoring at all.
66
67 > You will need to tweak xdm to have kdm3 working.
68 > there are some distfiles that went rogue, you may have to search for
69 > them on google and procure externally".
70
71 I don't use a display manager. Just startx.
72
73 Regards