From: Keiji Costantini <strites@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] kde-sunset
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 20:52:51
1 2013/12/5 <wabenbau@×××××.com>
2
3 > Hi folks,
4 >
5 > I was a KDE user for many years (starting with KDE version 0.4) but
6 > since KDE4 ousted KDE3 I'm using XFCE.
7 > Because I wanna have a "tree-mode" in my file manager, I'm using
8 > nautilus instead of thunar. Now Gnome3 is marked stable and it seems
9 > that Gnome2 is not longer supported. I don't like to upgrade my
10 > installed gnome stuff to the new version and therefore I think about
11 > installing the kde-sunset overlay because I always was happy with KDE3.
14 I have a living Kde3.5 on my notebook and Kde4.10 on my desktop. No
15 question: Kde4 was a downgrade. Konqueror3 kicks ass on the castrated
16 Konqueror4. Dolphin doesn't have half of the usability of Konqueror as a
17 filemanager (I swear I tried to use it and had to switch to konqueror4)
20 > Before I try to do this, I have some questions.
21 >
22 > 1. How secure is it to use KDE 3.5 from the kde-sunset overlay? Are
23 > there maybe security leaks that are fixed in KDE4 but not in KDE 3.5?
26 For this probably there is no answer: kde3 was killed and almost all
27 development ceased with the introduction of kde4. And so the bug huntings
28 and the like.
32 > 2. I have some KDE4 programs installed. Do I have to uninstall all KDE4
33 > stuff before I can install KDE 3.5?
34 >
35 > No, they can go fine, but you may get a path problem since programs that
36 have the same name in kde3 or 4 will not play so nice (especially if you
37 need the "wrong" one).
40 > 3. Are there any other things that I have to take care of before I
41 > install KDE 3.5?
44 KDE 3.5 is built for HAL, which gentoo got rid of. So basically you will
45 not get mounting and unmounting of devices at DE level (I use bashmount for
46 that). Battery monitoring seems to work (but I don't remember exactly HOW
47 and WHY)
48 You will need to tweak xdm to have kdm3 working.
49 there are some distfiles that went rogue, you may have to search for them
50 on google and procure externally".
53 > regards