From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: cups vs. VMware
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 10:45:45
1 Lindsay Haisley posted <20060103024352.GA13851@×××.com>, excerpted below,
2 on Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:43:52 -0600:
3
4 > I'm trying to configure an ancient HP Deskjet 1120C for my Gentoo desktop.
5 > It's connected to the only parallel port on the system, and works with both
6 > cups and in my Windows XP installation on VMware.
7 >
8 > The problem, however, is that cups wants to see the printer as /dev/lp0,
9 > which requires that I have the lp module installed. VMware won't deal with
10 > /dev/lp0, and insists on using /dev/parport0 and requires that the ppdev
11 > module be installed. If the lp module is installed, VMware complains about
12 > the printer port being in use by another device and turns off printing.
13 >
14 > Is there any way to get printing to work with both VMware and cups
15 > simultaneously?
16 >
17 > Cups is a royal PITA!!!
18
19 I certainly don't claim guru on this, but CUPS is a network printing
20 system, and I'd /guess/ that while you likely can't have them both
21 directly connected to the parallel port and printer, you should be able to
22 configure either VMWare directly, or a print driver on the VM inside it,
23 to print to CUPS, thru the loopback network interface. Note of course
24 that because it's a network service, you may have to reconfigure Netfilter
25 to allow the connections on the appropriate interface, if you are running
26 a firewall.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
32 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
36 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list