From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@×××××××××××.gr>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] kill that crazy overlay
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 10:53:37
1 On Friday 26 December 2008 03:54:54 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
3 > > Hello
4 >
5 > Hi
6 >
7 > > we are having a small issue here concerning the two overlays. Since the
8 > > eclasses, the live ebuilds and the snapshots are in a good shape now (in
9 > > fact eclasses are about to hit the tree), kde-crazy offers nothing but
10 > > confusion now. There's no reason to have to sync eclasses between
11 > > overlays every time, it's boring, time consuming and maintaining two
12 > > overlays in a single system is very difficult (should i say impossible?)
13 > > I can't test eclasses for the co-existence of snapshots and live in a
14 > > single system at the moment for example. Furthermore, even devs don't
15 > > know where is the right place to commit :) Initially i thought it would
16 > > be better to have in a separate overlay all the ebuilds that are going to
17 > > hit tree, but now i don't. I'd like to hear everybody's opinion,
18 > > especially jmbsvicetto's since (iirc) he proposed the kde-crazy overlay
19 >
20 > I still think there's a place and purpose for both overlays.
21 I agree with this
22 > Let me
23 > recall you the reasons for them:
24 >
25 > * kde-testing - the purpose of this overlay is to be a stage for
26 > ebuilds going into the tree and for having "reasonably" stable ebuilds
27 > for packages that we don't want to put in the tree. For instance, the
28 > bumps for 4.1.4 and 4.1.86/90 should be done here.
29 > * kde-crazy - overlay for hosting the live ebuilds and for doing the
30 > really "wacky" experiments (features for long term). As an example, work
31 > for 4.3 snapshots should start here.
34 I my mind , kde-testing is for kinda "stable" packages while kde-crazy is for
35 experiments. For example , i keep chaning qt-4.5.0_beta ebuilds. I would feel
36 really guilty if those packages were in kde-testing overlay cause I would not
37 feel comfortable chaning them.
38 See, kde-craze is like a kde/qt playgroun for development and testing while
39 kde-testing offers kde packages that are consider *highly* testing to be in
40 portage.
41 > I think most of your problems are happening because having eclasses in
42 > any of the overlays makes things harder. The reason any eclass should be
43 > added to the kde-testing overlay is to get it final testing before
44 > moving into the tree. Any major change on eclasses should start on
45 > kde-crazy.
46 >
47 > > Regards,
48 > > Theodore