From: Andreas Sturmlechner <andreas.sturmlechner@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] kill that crazy overlay
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:36:40
1 Hi all,
2
3 I also think that the split in kde-testing and kde-crazy is a good
4 idea, still. You can't avoid confusion though when a branch is
5 stabilizing and its ebuilds are moving from kde-crazy to kde-testing
6 (until they finally reach the main portage tree). It will be the same
7 again at the transition from 4.2 to 4.3, from 4.3 to 4.4, ...
8
9 The only way to prevent the confusion (of both users, and more
10 importantly, devs) would be to organize them differently. Let each KDE
11 development branch have its own overlay, e.g. kde42 and kde43. At the
12 beginning of its life span, that overlay would be highly experimental,
13 just as kde-crazy. During upstream development, both code and
14 eclasses/ebuilds stabilize simultaneously, and at beta time changes
15 would be minimal already. That's the time when ebuilds usually move
16 out from kde-crazy to kde-testing and questions such as the one above
17 emerge, but in the suggested structure, they would remain in their
18 overlay at least until the branch hits portage, and eventually, the
19 overlay would be removed and a new one created, as KDE development
20 goes on.
21