From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] AGP card recommendations wanted =8^)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:00:44
1 Currently, I'm running a rather old Radeon 9200 series card. I'd like to
2 upgrade, but don't know which of the newer Radeons work best with either
3 of the freedomware drivers (xf86-video-ati or xf86-video-radeonhd).
4
5 I do have some requirements.
6
7 First, in keeping with what Donnie B. recommended in an interview I read
8 (was it on LWN or somewhere else?), I want to stick with an AMD/ATI/
9 Radeon card.
10
11 Second, it's an AGP 4/8x slot. No PCI-E (tho I could do PCI-X, but I
12 don't believe they made graphics cards for that).
13
14 Third, I'd like 2x dual-link DVI-I. My current monitors are both analog/
15 hd-15 connector, 1600x1200, stacked for 1600x2400. I'm planning on
16 upgrading to preferably dual 2560x1600 digital, but at least dual
17 1920x1200. The former would certainly need dual-link DVI; I'm not sure
18 on the latter. Thus, I need dual outputs, dual-link DVI to handle the
19 bandwidth of the digital when I upgrade to it, and DVI-I so I can use the
20 adaptors and keep the analog in the mean time.
21
22 So I need recommendations from anyone running that sort of setup. Also,
23 which driver do you use and why?
24
25 Also, to anyone running the xf86-video-ati driver, I've not been able to
26 get the ~arch 6.8.0 version to work at those resolutions for me. I can
27 get it to do 1600x1200 on one monitor, or (IIRC, I was tired and a bit
28 fuzzy headed when testing) 1024x768 on both, but I haven't gotten
29 >1024x768 to work on both yet. As a consequence I package.masked it
30 here, and am still on 6.6.0, running merged framebuffer. Yes, I know
31 they killed merged framebuffer for 6.8.0, in favor of separate configs
32 and xinerama, but altho I've had experience with a xinerama config some
33 time back and as I said I can get it running in dual 1024x768 mode, I
34 can't seem to get it to run higher. Is that a limitation of the 9200
35 series in Xinerama mode, or of the driver, or of my config, somehow?
36
37 I /think/ it may be due to the recommended resolution of my 19" monitor,
38 as I'm stretching it a bit running it at 1600x1200, but 1024x768 is just
39 ridiculous on it, let alone on my 21". I think RandR may be seeing that
40 1024x768 recommended and that I may need to tell it to ignore that, but I
41 don't really know how to do that with RandR 1.2 yet, only the old way,
42 which RandR seems to be ignoring.
43
44 That second question will likely need to go to the xorg list if I don't
45 find an answer in the FAQ and RandR 1.2 docs etc that I've not looked at
46 very closely yet, unless I get lucky and find someone with a similarly
47 large desktop real-estate config running the driver here, but I thought
48 I'd ask, and since I'm subscribed here and not to the xorg list yet...
53 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
56 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list