From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: AGP card recommendations wanted =8^)
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:45:18
1 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> posted pan.2008.06.26.16.00.06@×××.net,
2 excerpted below, on Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:00:06 +0000:
3
4 > Also, to anyone running the xf86-video-ati driver, I've not been able to
5 > get the ~arch 6.8.0 version to work at those resolutions for me. [...]
6 > I /think/ it may be due to the recommended resolution [on the 19" but]
7 > 1024x768 is just ridiculous on it, let alone on my 21". I think RandR
8 > may be seeing that 1024x768 recommended and that I may need to tell it
9 > to ignore that, but I don't really know how to do that with RandR 1.2
10
11 Got /that/ part of it sorted, now. Running the 6.9.0 driver now and know
12 rather more about RandR 1.2 compatible xorg.conf settings now.
13
14 Unfortunately, ATM it seems slower than the old 6.6.3 driver. Moving the
15 cursor around in konsole, I have to wait longer for the display to
16 scroll, now and I've noticed it a few other places too. However, I'm not
17 thru tweaking it yet, and had disabled some accel when I was trying to
18 figure out what was crashing, so it might speed back up after I'm done.
19
20 But it's working now, while it was crashing or at ridiculous resolutions
21 previously, so I'm most of the way there. Even if it does end up a bit
22 slower now, at least I know the new drivers work, so I'm not so worried
23 about upgrading the hardware now.
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
31 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list