From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Internet Browsing Performance
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 12:58:52
1 On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 11:44 +0200, Mauro Arnoldi wrote:
2 > Hi to everyone!
3 > My problem is simple but I think quite strange:
4 >
5 > I have a home lan network, both wired and wireless, and with my laptop I use
6 > one of those alternatively...
7 > When I use the wired connection I have a static IP address, and my /etc/hosts
8 > looks like:
9 >
10 > 127.0.0.1 localhost
11 > 192.168.1.11 myhostname myhostname.mydomainname.it
12
13 Simple solution:
14
15 127.0.0.1 myhostname.mydomainname.it myhostname localhost
16
17 The problem is that some programs try to look up their own name. Since
18 it isn't going to be in DNS, and it isn't in /etc/hosts, it causes the
19 program to kinda sit and spin waiting for a response before it
20 continues. If you ever use your machine on DHCP, this is the best
21 solution.
22
23 After all, if you're ever connecting to your own hostname, you'll be
24 using loopback anyway, right?
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
29 x86 Architecture Team