From: Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 20:38:52
1 On 8 July 2010 21:16, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Nicholas Robbins posted on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:09:24 -0700 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> Just a me-too message. I recently started having these crashes as well.
5 >> They started about when I upgraded to libpng1.4.
6 >
7 > Ugh.  Sounds like you still have the earlier version, and some library
8 > using it, while another pulls in the new version, with both used by kmail,
9 > so it's pulling in both versions into the same executable, and that's a
10 > certain recipe for disaster, or at least crashes.
11 >
12 > I take it you've completed a revdep-rebuild and running it now comes up
13 > clean?  Do you run with as-needed in your ldflags?  That will certainly
14 > help, as will having lafilefixer in your portage post-install hooked
15 > routines.  (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you may want to read
16 > up on flameeyes' blog... the mentioned tricks can definitely save you a
17 > **LOT** of trouble.)
18 >
19 > What about depclean?  Do you use it regularly?
20 >
21 > If you're not doing that sort of stuff routinely, it may be that a
22 > complete emerge --emptytree world is needed to get the cruft cleaned out,
23 > but before you go to that trouble, I'd suggest setting up as-needed in
24 > your ldflags, lafilefixer in your post-install, doing a --depclean --
25 > pretend and adding to world what you don't want removed, and consider
26 > setting FEATURES=buildpkg, before you do the rebuild, so that when you're
27 > done, you'll have the full world built cleanly with those options, and
28 > binpkg backups for every package, as well.  After that it should be MUCH
29 > easier to keep up with routine maintenance, always doing a revdep-rebuild
30 > and a depclean (I always use ask, to see what it's going to do, before
31 > letting it go ahead, for both of these), after every update or package
32 > removal.
33 >
34 > --
35 > Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
36 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
37 > and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman
42 Do none of these kmail crashes produce a crash dump or backtrace? If
43 it is the png issue, it's pretty easy to spot from a crash dump in my
44 experience.
45 --
46 Andrew :-)
47
48 Free Java Software Engineer
49 Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)
50
51 Support Free Java!
52 Contribute to GNU Classpath and the OpenJDK
53 http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
54 http://openjdk.java.net
55
56 PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
57 Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA 7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8