From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: [kde-sunset] kmail-3.5.10 crashes
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 20:17:04
1 Nicholas Robbins posted on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:09:24 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > Just a me-too message. I recently started having these crashes as well.
4 > They started about when I upgraded to libpng1.4.
5
6 Ugh. Sounds like you still have the earlier version, and some library
7 using it, while another pulls in the new version, with both used by kmail,
8 so it's pulling in both versions into the same executable, and that's a
9 certain recipe for disaster, or at least crashes.
10
11 I take it you've completed a revdep-rebuild and running it now comes up
12 clean? Do you run with as-needed in your ldflags? That will certainly
13 help, as will having lafilefixer in your portage post-install hooked
14 routines. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you may want to read
15 up on flameeyes' blog... the mentioned tricks can definitely save you a
16 **LOT** of trouble.)
17
18 What about depclean? Do you use it regularly?
19
20 If you're not doing that sort of stuff routinely, it may be that a
21 complete emerge --emptytree world is needed to get the cruft cleaned out,
22 but before you go to that trouble, I'd suggest setting up as-needed in
23 your ldflags, lafilefixer in your post-install, doing a --depclean --
24 pretend and adding to world what you don't want removed, and consider
25 setting FEATURES=buildpkg, before you do the rebuild, so that when you're
26 done, you'll have the full world built cleanly with those options, and
27 binpkg backups for every package, as well. After that it should be MUCH
28 easier to keep up with routine maintenance, always doing a revdep-rebuild
29 and a depclean (I always use ask, to see what it's going to do, before
30 letting it go ahead, for both of these), after every update or package
31 removal.
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman