From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: ffmpeg versions in portage
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 23:38:15
1 Brent Busby posted on Thu, 19 Feb 2015 01:38:12 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > Mostly I just wondered if anyone could tell me if ffmpeg 2.5 itself is
4 > fundamentally broken in some way. Sounds like it's fine...
5
6 Yes. What's broken, for both ffmpeg and libav, is that they don't keep
7 the same API around very long. New versions thus break everything that
8 depends on them for awhile, until those package in turn are upgraded to
9 deal with the new API.
10
11 Which wouldn't be a big deal if it were only a handful of packages
12 depending on ffmpeg/libav. But when pretty much every audio/visual
13 application out there does... it's not just a big deal, it's a *HUGE*
14 deal.
15
16 FWIW, while I'm an ffmpeg user myself, the libav upstream has at least
17 realized the problem to some extent, and has slowed down the dropping of
18 older APIs a bit, leaving them around for a version or two even as they
19 continue to move on with new ones. But I believe that's a fairly new
20 policy, only the last couple of release series, and it's limited to only
21 a release series or two in "backward compatibility mode" at once, so it's
22 still a problem for the slower moving packages depending on it, both
23 because it's new enough that the slower moving packages haven't had a
24 chance to absorb it yet, and because it's limited to only a release or
25 two on a fast-moving base, such that the problem will still exist for the
26 packages depending on it that are moving slow enough.
27
28 This all came out in the gentoo-dev list ffmpeg/libav default
29 discussion. Truth is, ffmpeg may well be best for ~arch users for
30 several reasons including more flexibility and best of both worlds
31 leading edge development policies, but sta(b)le users may actually be
32 better with libav, at least as this upstream libav policy takes hold,
33 given that they're at least making /some/ efforts toward API stability
34 now, which can only help newer versions reach sta(b)le faster.
35
36 Which means libav may actually be the better gentoo profile default after
37 all, despite apparent user preference to ffmpeg, because leading edge
38 users are more likely to be willing to change the profile default, while
39 sta(b)le users in general prefer that it "just work" with the least
40 disturbance, at least after they've done their basic setup.
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman