From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: GNOME 2.14 and gstreamer
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 18:41:12
1 "Dave Shanker" <dshanker@×××××.com> posted
2 82e554630605190936r96160fbm15f48ff9831a81bc@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Fri, 19 May 2006 12:36:47 -0400:
4
5 > So I found an interesting issue today with GNOME 2.14 and gstreamer;
6 > Specifically I upgraded to GNOME 2.14 (which compiled against
7 > gstreamer-0.10) and everything went relatively smoothly. A week later,
8 > I decided to create a new user and found that banshee or rhytmbox
9 > wouldn't play any music due to missing gconf keys. I check multimedia
10 > properties in GNOME and manual select esdsink since the already
11 > selected auto detect wasn't working and still had the same issue, no
12 > sound with the same error.
13 >
14 > Turns out, multimedia properties were changing the gconf entries for
15 > gstreamer 0.10.x, but banshee/rhythmbox was looking under 0.8.x. Those
16 > apps worked under my previous user because they already had been set,
17 > but since I created a new user, they were set to their defaults of
18 > osssink which doesn't work on my machine.
19
20 Hmm... I wonder if that's why I've had absolutely zero luck getting
21 gstreamer to work with kmplayer, despite having merged kmplayer with
22 USE=gstreamer and having gstreamer and the various plugins as well.
23 If gstreamer is dependent on nonexistent gconf settings, or settings set
24 at merge that had long since moved out from under it, that would explain
25 why it never worked for me.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
33 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list