From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: KDE Sunset Amarok
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 06:05:23
1 Brent Busby posted on Sun, 22 Jul 2012 11:41:22 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > [amarok for kde4] feels slow and unresponsive, and from my brief usage
4 > of the program, it doesn't seem to support global (desktop-wide) hotkeys
5 > -- you have to focus its window to make it do things like advance to
6 > the next track.
7
8 While I'd guess clementine (as already discussed in another subthread) is
9 what you're really looking for, this point hadn't been addressed yet...
10
11 As I said in other subthreads, I found another solution (mpd and front-
12 ends) for me, but I do run kde4, and AFAIK amarok has native global hotkey
13 support there. It's simply configured in kde(4) settings, as one might
14 expect for global kde4 desktop settings if one thinks about it, instead
15 of in the app itself. With kde4-amarok installed, if you look in kde4
16 settings, common appearance and behavior, shortcuts and gestures, global
17 keyboard shortcuts, in the kde component dropdown there should be an
18 entry for amarok. Select it, and you should get the usual global hotkey
19 configuration options, for amarok.
20
21 If you're not using kde4 as your desktop, then as elsewhere mentioned, it
22 should still be configurable using whatever global hotkey app's generic
23 hotkey configuration mechanism and command-line or dbus calls.
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman