From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: startx / X -config /root/xorg.conf.new crash on T410 intel Arrandale (custom kernel)
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 07:52:58
1 Levon Ghazaryan posted on Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:27:18 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > on 2.6.34-r1, ThinkPad T410 with Intel Arrandale with a custom kernel
4 > the laptop freezes on startx or X -retro -config /root/xorg.conf.new
5 > (with a fresh created xorg.conf.new with Xorg -config).
6 >
7 > as this happens I'm not able to switch the tty, the laptop doesn't
8 > respond to ping and caps lock is constantly blinking.
9
10 Won't even respond to ping. That's definitely a hard lockup. =:^(
11
12 Unfortunately, such lockups often don't leave a lot in the way of logs,
13 because whatever triggers them panics the kernel to the point it can't
14 trust itself to write log entries (good thing too, at that point it's
15 generally so confused who knows where it might scribble on the disk,
16 precisely the reason it doesn't write anything if it doesn't trust itself
17 to do so correctly) detailing what went wrong.
18
19 But you can tell it doesn't respond to pings, which presumably means you
20 have at least one other machine available. It's often possible in such
21 cases to take a log remotely, and sometimes get an entry with the problem
22 via the remote connection as the kernel's going down, since the kernel
23 knows that writing to a network connection can't scribble where it's not
24 supposed to on the disk, like trying to right a log entry to disk might do
25 at that point.
26
27 Unfortunately I don't know those details, as it's only relatively recently
28 that I have both a netbook and a desktop, to be able to do such things,
29 and I've not actually done them yet. But I do know it's possible, and you
30 can look into it further if you find it necessary.
31
32 > there is no error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
33
34 One wouldn't be expected in such a case, for the reasons I mention above.
35
36 > and Xorg -config exits without complaining about anything.
37
38 =:^(
39
40 > I followed the guide at:
41 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml#using_startx
42 >
43 > so I completed all steps mentioned there.
44 >
45 > at this point I have no idea how to debug, get information what is going
46 > an, or what causes the problem - there are no error messages and no log
47 > left. the only thing I see is a black screen, a blinking cursor at the
48 > top left corner for a moment and a completely black screen after wards
49 > and laptop the responds to nothing as a result. the only way that i
50 > could get out of this was to hard-reboot using the power button.
51 >
52 > please post here if you have any ideas what this could be or how can it
53 > be figured out what causes the crash.
54 >
55 > at some point i tried:
56 > emerge -e xorg-server
57 >
58 > but this changed nothing and startx crashes again in the same way.
59
60 Altho my netbook has Intel graphics, I've not had it as long as my main
61 machine (AMD, several generations of Radeon graphics), and know rather
62 less about Intel graphics than I do Radeons.
63
64 However, both the Radeon and Intel drivers now (with 2.6.34 on the Radeon
65 side, I believe earlier for the Intel side) default to KMS, kernel mode
66 setting, as opposed to the former UMS, user (xorg) mode setting. KMS runs
67 fine on both my main AMD/Opteron/Radeon machine and my Intel/Atom based
68 Acer Aspire One netbook (ICH7 family chipset, 945GME graphics, rev 03),
69 but I'm running ~arch on both (~amd64 on the workstation, ~x86 on the
70 netbook), and in fact, running the x11 overlay as well, so getting X
71 related packages before they're even in the main tree. With a technology
72 as new as is KMS, the newest versions are very likely more stable than
73 earlier versions. as the technology itself is still developing and
74 stabilizing. FWIW, xorg-server-1.8.2 (from the x11 overlay), on both
75 machines, here, and the xf86-video-*, drm, mesa, and other such packages,
76 are equally current, some in-tree already, some from the overlay.
77
78 I'd therefore suggest you look into the KMS/UMS thing. That may well be
79 your problem. I believe there's a kernel parameter you can add in grub,
80 to turn off KMS and see if that's it. nokms or no-kms or some such, I've
81 not had to use it so IDR for sure.
82
83 Actually, now that I think of it, I believe I've read about a particular
84 Intel chipset, the ICH-5 series, IIRC, that has had very serious problems
85 with KMS, and either has /just/ fixed them (would likely be with the
86 2.6.35 kernel and/or xorg-1.8 or later and/or comparable xf86-video-intel
87 driver, the fix would be that fresh, tho of course some of us have been
88 running that stuff for months, now, so it's not necessarily /that/ new),
89 or they're still affected and won't yet work with kms at all. I've no
90 clue where Arrandale is relative to ICH-5, but if that's it, you're very
91 likely affected and need the nokms boot parameter, at least with xorg
92 earlier than the very latest ~arch and x11 overlay stuff, and with kernels
93 older than the just release 2.6.35, and might still need it with them.
98 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman