From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: A few problems with CDs and sound
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 11:31:30
1 On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:49 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com> posted
3 > 47F0CA08.3070400@×××××××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Mon, 31 Mar
4 > 2008 07:24:56 -0400:
7 > > Lindsay Haisley wrote:
8 > >> I may try this, though, since libgnomevfs still complains about not
9 > >> being able to find libcdda.so. I'm not sure what this library does.
10 > >
11 > > I think libcdda is for looking up on a central database the artist/track
12 > > names for CDs.
13 >
14 > Yes. CD-database. There's some politics in the history there for those
15 > interested...
18 Hmm. Actually, it has little to do with databases. That is CDDB
19 (notice the last letter). CDDA is CD Direct Access. This comes from
20 the fact that there are two ways to play cd's with a computer. The
21 first way is to have your dvd (or cd) player, transform the cd data
22 into sound, and transfer it via a cable to your sound card (or
23 motherboard). This is what the cd channel in your mixer is about. The
24 second way used to be problematic a long time ago, but shouldn't
25 really be so now. It fixes the problem of missing
26 cdplayer-to-soundcard cables. That is, the cd drive reads the digital
27 data from the disc, and this data is then send as pcm data (like a wav
28 file) to the sound card. The job of libcdda is to do that. The culprit
29 here is a wrapper around libcdda to allow gnome systems to see an
30 audio cd as a filesystem (it is not) and also provide easy ripping in
31 the user interface.
32
33 Paul
34
35 ps. To rip cd's you always use digital access. Otherwise you couldn't
36 make quality copies.
39 Paul de Vrieze
40 Researcher
41 Mail: paul.devrieze@×××××.com