From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: A few problems with CDs and sound
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 05:34:19
1 Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> posted
2 1206926809.7434.12.camel@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Sun, 30 Mar
3 2008 20:26:49 -0500:
4
5 > I thought someone on this list might have a insightful comment on the
6 > totem error:
7 >
8 > "totem: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so:
9 > undefined symbol: gnome_vfs_uri_get_basename"
10
11 Well, I'm a KDE guy with GTK+ but not GNOME installed, meaning no GNOME-
12 Virtual_FileSystem either, but it's relatively easy to see the problem
13 there, that libcdda.so was built with support for whatever provided
14 gnome_vfs_uri_get_basename, but that the current version of whatever that
15 was doesn't provide it in the same way, so it can't see it now.
16
17 One would think that revdep-rebuild would catch the problem, but maybe it
18 didn't in your case. Or... you've rerun revdep-rebuild and got a clean-
19 system report, and rebooted since then, just to be sure, right? (True,
20 this is Linux and a reboot shouldn't really be necessary if you know how
21 to flush everything currently running, but it remains the easiest way to
22 be sure when remote troubleshooting.)
23
24 If revdep-rebuild is saying you are fine, you rebooted so you /know/
25 everything is flushed since then, and you are /still/ getting the
26 problem, then I'd say it's time to file a bug, since either revdep-
27 rebuild is not seeing something it should, or your loader (ld.so, part of
28 glibc) is screwing up. The latter could be due to a screwed up ldcache,
29 due to screwed up library search paths, but then even more so, there's a
30 Gentoo bug somewhere with the library search paths infrastructure and it
31 needs fixed.
32
33 It's also possible you could trace and resolve the missing symbols to a
34 particular library and then it to a package manually. That's what I'd
35 try, but I'm not up to trying to explain how ATM...
36
37 Actually, what I could (and did) do here, some time ago when I had
38 similar problems and did have GNOME-VFS merged, was kill the gnome-vfs
39 USE flags stuff, since I'm not a GNOME user anyway. You could /try/
40 killing it for totem and/or its dependencies and see how far you get, but
41 I'm guessing that's not a way you want to go. I wouldn't blame you if
42 you're a GNOME fan.
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
50 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list