From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Adding a text fiile printer (or any printer) in OpenOffice
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 16:06:34
1 On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 00:00 -0500, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 22:11 -0500, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
3 > > I have some very old (Wordstar 3) documents which I'd like to print to a
4 > > plain text file with simple newlines, page headers and footers, etc, so
5 > > I need a generic printer with a "print to file" option. There's no such
6 > > printer available on OpenOffice, so I tried to add one.
7 >
8 > Actually, it looks like if I set up a printer in cups, it shows up in
9 > OpenOffice, so that question is answered, but I still can't get a proper
10 > likeness of the document to file.
11 >
12 > The document was created in Wordstar 3 under CP/M in the 80s. I managed
13 > to get it properly imported into Microsoft Word using a rather obscure
14 > input filter, and the resulting MS Word file was partially true to the
15 > original formatting. I opened this file in OpenOffice and did a fair
16 > amount of work to bring the page and line formatting back to original.
17 > Wordstar did soft hyphens at line ends - which had gotten lost in
18 > conversion - and I had to replace these and a bunch of the indentation
19 > to restore the full justificiation of all paragraphs as the origignal
20 > had.
21 >
22 > The resulting document uses a Courier non-prop. font and I'd like to be
23 > able to print it to a text file _just as it looks_ and preserve all the
24 > indentation, centering and justification. Seems like just about any
25 > format I save it to, however (HTML, RTF, text) loses these features and
26 > I'll have another job ahead of me re-formatting everything again in vim
27 > or some other text editor. This can be done, but I'm wondering if
28 > there's any way to get text output from OpenOffice that's truer to the
29 > original appearance.
30
31 Is there some reason you can't save it as a text (or RTF, or
32 opendocument) file? I've imported from obscure wordprocessors before,
33 and saved as normal files fine.
34
35 Daniel
38 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list