From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: xorg 7.1 rc2, zooming known to be broken?
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 17:52:59
1 Marc Koschewski posted <20060509151248.GA11642@××××××××××××××××××.org>,
2 excerpted below, on Tue, 09 May 2006 17:12:48 +0200:
3
4 > * Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> [2006-05-09 08:54:44 -0700]:
5 >
6 >> OK, I'm testing xorg 7.1 rc2 (xorg-server-1.0.99.902-r1 and friends).
7 >>
8 >> The biggest (only) problem so far is that the normal zoom keys
9 >> (CTRL-ALT-NUMPLUS/NUMMINUS) have no effect. Is that a known issue, or do
10 >> I need to file an upstream bug? I had tried the (less stable) rc1
11 >> (.99.901) for a day or so, and saw the problem there, but didn't worry too
12 >> much since that was only rc1. I'm getting worried since it's still there
13 >> in rc2, worried enough to ask about it. I use that feature enough to
14 >> definitely miss it!
15 >
16 > I use xbindkeys and transset-df for that ... am I missing something?
17
18 I've never used either. Zoom has thru xorg 7.0 just worked, using the
19 usual ctrl-alt-numplus/numminus keys.
20
21 BTW, xrandr still works, and I can use krandrtray to set resolution with
22 no problem, only that isn't the same as zoom keeps the same virtual size
23 only changing the viewport size on the virtual display, while xrandr
24 changes both, thereby trying to fit my panels in the shrunken real estate
25 with little luck, but hogging it anyway.
26
27 Hmm... the xorg log shows this when I try to zoom. It looks like the
28 Radeon driver is getting the zoom key events, but isn't handling them.
29 Given that, it's no surprise the problem hasn't been fixed as the ATI
30 driver is still the same one used with -rc1. xf86-video-ati-6.6.0
31
32 RADEONHandleMessage(0, "KeyEventMessage", "+VMode", retmsg)
33 RADEONHandleMessage(0, "KeyEventMessage", "-VMode", retmsg)
36 I did a bugzilla search at freedesktop.org. Nothing I could find, but
37 that doesn't say it's not there as I guess I don't know how to use the
39 plus with many not even /close/.
40
41 > BTW, font rendering with NVidia kernel driver is still crappy. Is there a
42 > workaround somewhere besides using the nv module?
43
44 Can't tell if you are asking me or in general. I won't use slaveryware
45 (see the sig), so I won't use NVidia video hardware. I don't believe I
46 could if I wanted to, at least legally, where EULAs are considered legal,
47 as I don't believe I could accept theirs. As I said, a Radeon 9200SE here,
48 using the native xorg freedomware drivers.
53 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
54 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
58 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list