From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Adding a text fiile printer (or any printer) in OpenOffice
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 17:56:19
1 Am Dienstag 29 Mai 2007 19:19 schrieb Lindsay Haisley:
2 > On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 18:56 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
3 > > Am Dienstag 29 Mai 2007 18:21 schrieb Lindsay Haisley:
4 > > > On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 12:01 -0400, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
5 > > > > > The resulting document uses a Courier non-prop. font and I'd like
6 > > > > > to be able to print it to a text file _just as it looks_ and
7 > > > > > preserve all the indentation, centering and justification. Seems
8 > > > > > like just about any format I save it to, however (HTML, RTF, text)
9 > > > > > loses these features and I'll have another job ahead of me
10 > > > > > re-formatting everything again in vim or some other text editor.
11 > > > > > This can be done, but I'm wondering if there's any way to get text
12 > > > > > output from OpenOffice that's truer to the original appearance.
13 > > > >
14 > > > > Is there some reason you can't save it as a text (or RTF, or
15 > > > > opendocument) file? I've imported from obscure wordprocessors
16 > > > > before, and saved as normal files fine.
17 > > >
18 > > > I can leave it in any one of a number of formats. I've created ps, pdf
19 > > > and odf files which are properly formatted (rtf is not). My thinking
20 > > > is that this is archival material and if I'm going to submit it to an
21 > > > archive site, plain ASCII text is a lot more likely to be easily read
22 > > > and understood 20 years from now than is a more complex format.
23 > >
24 > > Isn't TeX / LaTeX used for this purpose. As the de facto standard for
25 > > more than 15 years I don't think it will change anytime soon.
26 >
27 > So how do I get a document in ODT or PS format into a TeX/LaTeX format?
28 > OpenOffice doesn't offer this as a save format, nor do I seem to have a
29 > CLI filter to do the job. Frankly, I think I'd be better off with a PDF
30 > format document. PDF coversion and interpretation is now freely
31 > available and very common in many tools.
32 >
33 > --
34 > Lindsay Haisley | "In an open world, | PGP public key
35 > FMP Computer Services | who needs Windows | available at
36 > 512-259-1190 | or Gates" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
37 > http://www.fmp.com | |
38
39 dev-tex/html2latex
40
41 Kword and OpenOffice contain a TeX converter but I don't know how good it is.
42 They allow you to save plain text, too. Did you try it?
43
44 By the way: Since it's for an archive you might consider using a format which
45 is easy to compress. I've made the experience that OpenDocument and PDF are
46 hard to compress compared to plain text or MS-Word (of course, OpenDocuments
47 are already compressed, but not as much as possible).