From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: disk partitioning
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 11:44:22
Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> posted
1170866949.5246.18.camel@×××××××××.localdomain, excerpted below, on  Wed,
07 Feb 2007 10:49:09 -0600:

> The impression I got was that EVMS was never intended to be competitive > with LVM, but was rather intended to be an umbrella disk management > system which would handle RAID, LVM, partitioning, etc - anything in > Linux which involves management of disk utilization. There are > basically two parts to EVMS. One is the management system itself, which > presents a published API. This was the central part of the project, as > I understood it. The EVMS devs also wrote a GUI to interact with the > API, which was both a proof of concept and a usable interface. There > are also CLI tools to manage EVMS, yes? Same API. So basically EVMS > was always focused at a higher level of management than is LVM.
Thanks for expanding my knowledge. As I said, I've never tried EVMS, just used the lower level stuff, which worked fine once I actually took the time to read up on and familiarize myself with it. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list