From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: disk partitioning
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:51:58
I live in Austin, TX and am active with the Capital Area Central Texas
Unix Society (CACTUS).  IBM has a big operation here, and at one
point CACTUS had a presentation by some of the principals in the EVMS
project who were employed by IBM locally.  IBM basically funded the
development of EVMS by paying these folks to work full time on it, and
the entire project was open sourced from the git-go.  Kudos to IBM for
this one!

The impression I got was that EVMS was never intended to be competitive
with LVM, but was rather intended to be an umbrella disk management
system which would handle RAID, LVM, partitioning, etc - anything in
Linux which involves management of disk utilization.  There are
basically two parts to EVMS.  One is the management system itself, which
presents a published API.  This was the central part of the project, as
I understood it.  The EVMS devs also wrote a GUI to interact with the
API, which was both a proof of concept and a usable interface.  There
are also CLI tools to manage EVMS, yes?  Same API.  So basically EVMS
was always focused at a higher level of management than is LVM.

I'm not sure, but it may be that EVMS is also capable of doing volume
management on AIX, too.

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 10:34 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> I haven't looked into EVMS, no. However, as I understand it, while > EVMS > and LVM2 were at one time built on different kernel mechanisms, when > LVM2 > was selected for merging into the mainline kernel (2.5 era I believe, > 2002), EVMS decided rather than fight it, to take their already great > management tools and make them work with the LVM2 framework as it was > merged into the kernel. =8^) Thus, I believe EVMS is now simply what > amounts to a GUI front-end to the LVM2 system as it exists in the > kernel > and lower level command-line tools. >
-- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
[gentoo-desktop] Re: disk partitioning Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>