From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: OpenGL Issue -- "failed to create drawable" (pyglet, python) [SOLVED]
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 00:02:49
Corey Richardson posted on Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:38:55 -0400 as excerpted:

> As for Gallium saying it's a i965 card, I think it was reading the last > option in eselect with it set. Not positive, but that's the only thing I > could come up with (I had both i915 and i965 set to gallium in eselect. > After changing that to classic, here's the new glxinfo I get: > > OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc OpenGL renderer string: > Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset OpenGL version string: 2.1 > Mesa 7.10.1 OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 > > Looks better, AND it solves the pyglet problem! Thank you Duncan. > > Now that I think about gallium using i965, it doesn't seem as odd when > you consider that the DRI2 driver is i965. I find that very strange, any > ideas what that could be? Didn't really find anything online, perhaps my > google-foo is lacking.
I expect it's simply not knowing about the eselect mesa bit, and having something set wrong, originally. It would have been interesting to see what the xorg log said before we started experimenting, as I suspect that we fixed it in two stages, either setting something else wrong before we found the first problem so fixing it didn't solve the entire problem, or having two misconfigured settings in the first place and it took getting them both correct to fix the problem. FWIW, if you haven't already done so, you will probably want to enable eselect's tab-completion option, among others. eselect bashcomp list will give you a *BIG* list (199 items long, here) of bash-completion command options you can activate if you use them on the command line. Each login user can run eselect bashcomp and set their own prefs, so root doesn't have to have the same set of active bash-completions as your normal user, as someone (significant-other, whatever) else with a login on your computer, etc. Tab-completion for commands like eselect make them **MUCH** easier to use effectively, just as tab-completion for filesystem paths makes them both much easier to use effectively, AND much easier to use without error. If you tab-complete an rm command, you're MUCH less likely to typo and rm the wrong thing, and MUCH more likely to catch it if you do typo, due to the completion giving you something unexpected, before you actually do the removal! With eselect tab completion enabled, it too becomes much easier to use effectively and without error. =:^) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman