From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: KDE Sunset Amarok
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 06:03:52
1 Alex Schuster posted on Sun, 22 Jul 2012 20:18:12 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Not me, I really like Amarok 2. For me, it is the KDE4 software I am
4 > most happy with.
5
6 LOL! ... And you DO have your problems with kde4!
7
8 (FWIW, those who don't understand what I'm referring to, apparently
9 aren't regulars on the kde-linux and kde-general lists.
10
11 Both AS/Wonko and I have had our problems, tho mine at least are
12 reasonable solved, now, by switching to non-kde solutions for a lot of
13 stuff, mpd and front-ends as a music player, tho it's MUCH different than
14 amarok but better fits my usage tho I miss the visualizations but kde4-
15 amarok killed that anyway tho for all I know it's back now, claws-mail
16 for mail and as a feed-reader, killing with fire anything akonadi related
17 including kmail and akregator, my own scripts in a konsole popup
18 replacing kde3's multikey hotkey functionality, as it's apparently
19 entirely broken and unfixable in qt4 (qt5 is supposed to have the feature
20 again, tho, but that doesn't help with qt4/kde4), the qt4-based smplayer
21 and qt4-front-ended vlc replacing kaffeine, firefox replacing konqueror,
22 since it became very apparent with the treatment of various bugs and https
23 certificate handling that the kde devs don't consider konqueror any more
24 than a "toy" browser, or they'd not have called kde4 including konqueror
25 ready for ordinary users, when it was seriously bugged, including
26 security issues... and it's still kde4 but I switched to the yasp-
27 scripted and then superkaramba to replace the missing ksysguard plasmoid/
28 kicker applet. Meanwhile, with akonadi killed with fire, I was able to
29 set USE=-semantic-desktop, regardless of the semantic-desktop lead-weight
30 being a major bullet-point feature of kde4, and get back the performance
31 kde4 otherwise robs compared to kde3.
32
33 But I still like kde's general configurability, and plasma as a desktop's
34 actually quite good, once you add a few plasmoids from kdelook and
35 configure everything to your liking. kwin's also quite configurable, and
36 I like the available effects and kde integration. And with a decent mid-
37 range graphics card (radeon hd4650 on the old system, radeon hd6770 on
38 the new, freedomware drivers of course) it's fast and stable. I'm
39 actually quite happy with kde4 now, even if I had to dump about half of
40 it including setting USE=-semantic-desktop, to get there. Also on the
41 bright side, since I'm not using kde for mail, feeds or the web any
42 longer, only mainly the desktop/wm and games, and with kde4 since 4.5 now
43 much more stable (sans kdepim with its akonadification) I'm now freed of
44 the concerns that kept me from running pre-releases earlier, and have
45 been running them since 4.7-rc2, thru 4.8 betas and rcs and 4.9 betas,
46 and now am on 4.9-rc2, waiting 4.9.0-release in a couple weeks or so. =:^)
47
48 Umm... sorry. I got a bit carried away there. I intended that to be
49 only a few lines poking wonko, but then I realized some wouldn't grok the
50 context, and...
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman