From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: KDE Sunset Amarok
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 15:03:12
1 Duncan writes:
2
3 > Alex Schuster posted on Sun, 22 Jul 2012 20:18:12 +0200 as excerpted:
4 >
5 > > Not me, I really like Amarok 2. For me, it is the KDE4 software I am
6 > > most happy with.
7 >
8 > LOL! ... And you DO have your problems with kde4!
9
10 Yes, I still do. It gets better, partially because it REALLY GET BETTER,
11 and partially because I avoid to do things that I learnt are giving
12 troubles. Or because I know what to do in case of a problem, like which
13 file I have to replace with a backup when plasma AGAIN messed up all my
14 plasmoids, or does not start up, or whatever.
15
16 > (FWIW, those who don't understand what I'm referring to, apparently
17 > aren't regulars on the kde-linux and kde-general lists.
18 >
19 > Both AS/Wonko and I have had our problems, tho mine at least are
20 > reasonable solved, now, by switching to non-kde solutions for a lot of
21 > stuff, mpd and front-ends as a music player, tho it's MUCH different
22 > than amarok but better fits my usage tho I miss the visualizations but
23 > kde4- amarok killed that anyway tho for all I know it's back now,
24 > claws-mail for mail and as a feed-reader, killing with fire anything
25 > akonadi related including kmail and akregator, my own scripts in a
26 > konsole popup replacing kde3's multikey hotkey functionality, as it's
27 > apparently entirely broken and unfixable in qt4 (qt5 is supposed to
28 > have the feature again, tho, but that doesn't help with qt4/kde4), the
29 > qt4-based smplayer and qt4-front-ended vlc replacing kaffeine, firefox
30 > replacing konqueror, since it became very apparent with the treatment
31 > of various bugs and https certificate handling that the kde devs don't
32 > consider konqueror any more than a "toy" browser, or they'd not have
33 > called kde4 including konqueror ready for ordinary users, when it was
34 > seriously bugged, including security issues... and it's still kde4 but
35 > I switched to the yasp- scripted and then superkaramba to replace the
36 > missing ksysguard plasmoid/ kicker applet. Meanwhile, with akonadi
37 > killed with fire, I was able to set USE=-semantic-desktop, regardless
38 > of the semantic-desktop lead-weight being a major bullet-point feature
39 > of kde4, and get back the performance kde4 otherwise robs compared to
40 > kde3.
41
42 Some similar experiences here. I do no longer use KMail since it killed
43 some thousand mails, simply by moving an IMAP sub-folder to another
44 folder. I just tried to reproduce this, and hey, the mails are not
45 deleted, but KMail crashes, this is reproducable. Maybe I should file a
46 bug... but my report about the deleted mails got no attention, and I
47 expect the developers to try things like moving folders around for
48 themselves. It seems whenever I do such things, I run into bugs sooner or
49 later. Usually sooner. Oh, and I do not need to mention that all the time
50 while I tried this I get Akonadi notifications about missing folders and
51 such.
52
53 I do no longer use Akregator, altough Liferea also has its issues
54 (so far I reported 4 bugs and 5 wishes).
55
56 I still use Konqueror... not really sure why. I like it, yes, it looks
57 more KDEish than Firefox, and it opens in a new window instead as a new
58 tab in an existing Firefox window, which probably could be changed
59 anyway... but a problem are the bookmarks, moving multiple top-level
60 bookmarks to a folder makes keditbookmarks crash, sometimes losing some
61 of those bookmarks, and sometimes it will additionally delete the very
62 first folder. Happened at least three times for me, and guess what, the
63 first bookmark folder is named 'Accounts' and is the most important one
64 for me. Then I will have to get an old version of bookmarks.xml from a
65 backup and merge it with the current file.
66
67 This is really annoying. From the beginning of KDE4 I had trouble with
68 the bookmark editor. And the bug I just mentiones is nearly two years old
69 now. Will this ever be fixed? Will KDE ever have a working bookmark
70 editor? Maybe using Rekonq instead will help, I did not play around with
71 this browser yet.
72
73 Amarok is an outstanding exception. It's not perfect yet, and has some
74 stability issues, although this has become much better. I like how it
75 looks. I like how I can configure it. Being able to fuse context and
76 media view together in two tabs, so I save some space [*]. I like the
77 information the context view presents, such as Wikipedia entry or lyrics.
78 I like the look and feel, for me it is just beautiful.
79
80 Another fine piece of software is Digikam. I don't use it much, but I
81 like it.
82
83 > But I still like kde's general configurability, and plasma as a
84 > desktop's actually quite good, once you add a few plasmoids from
85 > kdelook and configure everything to your liking.
86
87 Yes, but I back up my .kde4/share/config directory (or at least
88 plasma-desktop-appletsrc) before that, as many of those plasmoids caused
89 trouble here.
90
91 > kwin's also quite
92 > configurable, and I like the available effects and kde integration.
93 > And with a decent mid- range graphics card (radeon hd4650 on the old
94 > system, radeon hd6770 on the new, freedomware drivers of course) it's
95 > fast and stable.
96
97 Yes, kwin is really great. Window rules are such a cool feature, I use
98 them often. Sometimes to work around problems, like some application's
99 windows always opening minimized, I do not know why. Okay, this also only
100 happens in KDE4, so the window rules are a solution for a problem I would
101 not have, but still. And I like mplayer to open without any window
102 decoration, visible on all desktops, and always on top. And I like to
103 group windows together, like on the top left of my screenshot [*]. It's a
104 Konsole and a Dolphin, minimized to title bar size unless I need one of
105 them. The Dolphin has two tabs, each with two panels, I use it to manage
106 files in my music and video folders. I also have Claws and Liferea as a
107 window group, this feels similar to having Kontact with its KMail and
108 Akregator sub-modules.
109
110 Wonko
111