From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: questions and sundry gripes about X11 multihead (it's a rant)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 16:34:48
1 On Mon, 30 Dec 2013, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > First to address randr. I believe a lot there depends upon the
4 > flexibility and configurability of your window manager. I qualify the
5 > claim with "I believe", because I've not run anything but kwin for
6 > quite some time, so I actually don't know how flexible/configurable
7 > other WMs are, but what I DO know is how well kwin works for me in
8 > this regard. =:^)
9
10 I did read about a window manager called Awesome that's supposed to be
11 more multihead-aware than any other, including specific support for
12 Zaphod mode (if you can get your card's video driver to do it at all).
13
14 > (cli/ncurses/qt4). If the switch to kde frameworks 5 with qt5 is
15 > anything like the kde4 upgrade, they'll probably lose me for the
16 > desktop too, but so far signs are good that they've seen some sense
17 > and don't intend to go thru /that/ again.)
18
19 That's a great example of the sort of thing I was ranting about -- the
20 KDE developers decided nobody really likes KDE as we knew it and decided
21 to give us a whole new product. They even put us through five or six
22 releases of beta quality software while they tried to stabilize the new
23 desktop that we never asked for. I never posted a rant about that
24 before though because on Unix, if you don't like a desktop, don't run
25 it. If you start taking away basic features of X11 though, that's
26 really annoying, which is why the Zaphod and Wayland issues bother me
27 much more.
28
29 > So anyway, at least kwin can be configured to see the entire desktop
30 > as a single "screen" (USE=-xinerama for qt-gui), or to treat each one
31 > separately (USE=xinerama). When kwin is in separate screens mode,
32 > which is what I use, full-screen and maximizing work to just the
33 > single randr monitor (formerly xinerama/X screen) and the default
34 > smart-window- placement can be set to either put windows on the
35 > "active" screen as defined by where the mouse pointer is, or as
36 > defined by the parent or active window. (I use pointer-active since
37 > it allows me to for instance click a link and quickly point at a
38 > different monitor if I want firefox to open there instead.)
39
40 That brings up an interesting possibility: Since I'd heard everywhere
41 that basically RandR has supplanted Xinerama, I have my system compiled
42 globally with USE=-xinerama. Does this mean that if I turn USE=xinerama
43 on, I may be able to get window placement to behave? I'm still facing
44 driver issues with the open source radeon driver, but this could at
45 least be an answer to the window/desktop management problem (e.g.,
46 maximizing windows fullscreen to just one monitor).
47
48 > There's an old DOS-based game (Master of Orion, original, now 20 years
49 > old... and the only non-freedomware app I still run) I run in dosbox,
50 > that I have set very specifically not only to size, but to position,
51 > so it always opens up in the same place on the same monitor, basically
52 > so the game is full monitor height, but not full monitor width as that
53 > would distort it. I also have that particular window set to no-border
54 > since that would only be a distraction, but it's also possible to keep
55 > the title bar but force position and size such that only the titlebar
56 > appears on one screen, while the game in the client window appears
57 > vertically maximized in the screen below, and sometimes when I'm
58 > tweaking things, I'll switch it to that mode so I can see the
59 > parameters dosbox puts in the titlebar, without losing the full-height
60 > game display.
61
62 Yes, this is the type of configuration tricks I'm going to have to start
63 learning a lot of I think. Having two monitors is nice, but it's going
64 to make life complicated. :)
65
66 > There's two that I know of. Which one you choose will depend on your
67 > needs and neither one is exactly like single-X-session zaphod mode as
68 > both involve multiple X sessions, but with some tweaking, hopefully
69 > one or the other will do what you want.
70
71 I have a feeling I'm probably just going with RandR, just because that's
72 the direction the wind is blowing. You can only fight upstream for so
73 long.
74
75 > 1) Xorg can handle multiple X sessions on the same hardware, each
76 > using its own VT. This is sometimes referred to as
77 > fast-user-switching, particularly when it's handled via GUI at the XDM
78 > login level, but the same thing can be done using CLI login and
79 > running startx multiple times, as the same user or different users.
80 > I actually do this accidentally on occasion if I forget that I already
81 > have an X session running, which is how I know it works, but a script
82 > that sets the XSESSION variable and switches out a few other things
83 > appropriately would be easily setup.
84
85 I've thought about doing this too... The fast user switching applets
86 all assume you want to switch between two X servers on the same monitor.
87 If I go this route, I'd imagine it will be more like just using
88 Ctrl-Alt-F<n> to switch the mouse and keyboard back and forth between
89 two monitors.
90
91 > 2) It's also possible to do "multi-seat X", where each "seat" has its
92 > own entirely separate configuration, each talking to its own graphics
93 > card with its own displays attached and using its own input hardware,
94 > as configured.
95
96 Yes, that sounds really cool, though that's more than I'm wanting.
99 + Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
100 + Sr. UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will
101 + University of Chicago + eventually reproduce the entire works of
102 + James Franck Institute + Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet,
103 + Materials Research Ctr + we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky