From: "Tomáš Chvátal" <scarabeus@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: kde-l10n split ebuilds proposal
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:23:36
1 Dne čtvrtek 23 Duben 2009 18:13:00 Fabio Erculiani napsal(a):
2 > I see a lack of coherence in doing that instead.
3 > And also, could you tell me the rationale behind your sentence: "I
4 > don't think this is interesting for Gentoo".
5 > Because I already have explained what advantages it could bring (with
6 > a bare minimum effort!).
7 > So, i suppose that the opinions around here are just political or
8 > driven by resilience to change. Why not offering more?
9 > I just wonder... :)
10 Well for example sets support
11 now we add l10n ebuild to the set.
12 User change linguas recompile l10n since it is in the set.
13 With your approach we cant include all the l10n ebuilds to the set, even
14 adding them optionaly per useflag is quite annoying against current approach.
15 And compile time is this:
16 Wed Apr 22 21:27:24 2009 >>> kde-base/kde-l10n-4.2.2
17 merge time: 31 seconds.
18 on 1.3 ghz machine for 1 language. So i guess user can wait the 2 minutes and
19 it cause not too big slow-down. Disk space needed for compilation all lingua
20 packages is smaller than needed for firefox or kdelibs.
21 I really agree with one point it is pain in the ass for binary distros to
22 maintain. So the solution for it is better to allow packagemanager to handle
23 it.
24
25 Cheers