From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: mp3 to cd audio
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:16:00
1 Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU> posted
2 20070606142034.GA30712@×××××××××.edu, excerpted below, on Wed, 06 Jun
3 2007 10:20:34 -0400:
4
5 > Wait... when did this happen? I thought cdrtools (which is still in
6 > portage) *is* the original cdrecord? or am I completely confused?
7
8 Maybe it's me that's screwed up then. I know the license changed some,
9 and saw the discussion on the dev list, then later checking for cdrecord
10 and not seeing it I assumed it was gone as a result. However, it appears
11 I was checking the wrong name and they just added cdrkit, and didn't
12 remove cdrtools as I thought because I was looking for the wrong thing.
13
14 Thanks for pointing that out to me!
15
16 FWIW, the issue is that parts of it are now CDDL licensed. The CDDL is
17 GPL incompatible which puts folks shipping the binaries in an iffy
18 situation since parts of it are still GPL licensed. Joerg S. has never
19 been particularly easy to work with, so while it /might/ have been safe
20 taking him at his word as the general author (but AFAIK not the /only/
21 author), as with xfree86/xorg, many are switching to cdrkit. However,
22 due to the from-source nature of Gentoo, it's in a bit different position
23 and should be able to legally continue the package, as a user can do
24 whatever on their local machines and won't run afoul of the issue, as
25 long as they don't distribute the resulting binary. I just thought
26 Gentoo had gone the rest of the way and removed it anyway, but it appears
27 I was incorrect, since I was looking for the wrong package name and
28 attributed its missing to the licensing issue, not the wrong name.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
36 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list