From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] udev rules question
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 05:14:42
1 080427 Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 21:09 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> I just had a run-in with Udev after updating to 119 .
4 >> It started when I went to back up a small file on diskette as usual
5 >> & I was told it couldn't access 'A:'. The cause turned out to be
6 >> a change in the permissions for /dev/fd0 to 640 .
7 >> After some investigation, incl a search of the Forum,
8 >> which had no direct advice, but pointed to a Wiki article,
9 >> I was able to write a local rule to set the permission back to 660 .
10 >> It does seem a bizarre change: does anyone have any comments ?
11 > Generally the rule setting permissions on fd0 is in 50-udev.rules,
12 > which can be edited to taste or you can copy the appropriate rule
13 > to 10-local.rules and make the change there. This does seem odd,
14 > unless there's supposed to be some other mechanism in place
15 > to change the permissions dynamically when a floppy is inserted.
16
17 Well, there's a big warning at the top of 50-udev not to edit it !
18 I've never needed to fiddle with Udev rules before,
19 but I earlier did just what you suggest & all was well again.
20
21 > I'm only running udev-115-r1 which doesn't have this problem.
22
23 The problem arose after updating to 119 yesterday.
24 It does seem a strange change to make in the default Udev set-up.
28 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
29 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
30 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
31 --
32 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list