From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] udev rules question
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 04:01:09
1 On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 21:09 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 080427 Lindsay Haisley wrote:
3 > > I used to be able to write udev rules that worked,
4 > > but it looks as if Greg KH has been a very busy lad
5 > > and udev has gotten a lot more complex of late.
6 >
7 > I just had a run-in with Udev after updating to 119 .
8 > It started when I went to back up a small file on diskette as usual
9 > & I was told it couldn't access 'A:'. The cause turned out to be
10 > a change in the permissions for /dev/fd0 to 640 .
11 > After some investigation, incl a search of the Forum,
12 > which had no direct advice, but pointed to a Wiki article,
13 > I was able to write a local rule to set the permission back to 660 .
14 >
15 > It does seem a bizarre change: does anyone have any comments ?
16
17 Generally the rule setting permissions on fd0 is in 50-udev.rules, which
18 can be edited to taste, or you can copy the appropriate rule to
19 10-local.rules and make the change there. This does seem odd, unless
20 there's supposed to be some other mechanism in place to change the
21 permissions dynamically when a floppy is inserted. I'm only running
22 udev-115-r1 which doesn't have this problem.
25 Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
26 FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
27 512-259-1190 | (The Roadie) | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
28 http://www.fmp.com | |
33 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list