From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: has the sun set ?
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 13:18:25
1 Philip Webb posted on Tue, 02 Jun 2015 07:00:26 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > 150601 Martin Walch wrote:
4 >> On Monday 01 June 2015 05:33:01 Philip Webb wrote:
5 >>> Using Kde-Sunset, I have 3 useful apps available in forms which
6 >>> aren't provided by KDE 4 (Kworldclock Ksokoban Kmahjongg).
7 >> You are probably aware that KDE comes with a kworldclock plasmoid,
8 >
9 > Yes, but I use Fluxbox to manage my desktop, so that doesn't help. There
10 > is the alternative of Marble, which shows relative timezones,
11 > but it's clumsy compared with Kworldclock.
12
13 There is a plasmoid-in-window executable called plasma-windowed, that can
14 be used to run plasmoids as stand-alone apps. In kde4, plasma-windowed
15 is part of the plasma-workspace package.
16
17 I use that here to run (via configured hotkey) the calendar plasmoid in a
18 window, since the usual method of launching the calendar, from the clock
19 plasmoid, doesn't work here because I don't have a clock plasmoid,
20 because my clock is part of my superkaramba theme and I thus don't need a
21 plasmoid doing the same thing.
24 Tho building all of plasma and its deps just to run the kworldclock
25 plasmoid using plasma-windowed, seems a bit much. But if you have other
26 plasmoids of interest, however, or simply can't live without kworldclock
27 no matter what deps you have to build to get it, it's an option.
28
29 Meanwhile, I find it a bit... ironic... that just as kde5 is beginning to
30 be seen in distros and I'd say probably about a year before gentoo starts
31 considering dropping kde4 (tho a full kde5 isn't even in-tree yet, so
32 it'll be awhile...), you're barely considering upgrading to kde4 from the
33 kde3 you've been running from the sunset overlay. I definitely respect
34 that choice and am glad the kde-sunset overlay filled the bill when no
35 gentoo devs were willing to maintain kde3 in-tree any longer, but the
36 timing is just... ironic... is all.
37
38 (Meanwhile, I keep trying kde5 from the kde overlay every couple months,
39 and still haven't gotten it to run. Seems kwin5 goes into an endless
40 crash/respawn cycle, not liking either my radeon turks graphics hardware,
41 or the fact that I'm running triple monitor, or possibly both. Between
42 that, and the fact that I can't keep kde4 installed at the same time so I
43 can't keep a working kde4 while I try to fix kwin5/kde5, I have to kill
44 kde5 and rollback to kde4 in ordered to get a working system again, so it
45 tends to be 2-4 months between tests. =:^( When gentoo/kde decides it's
46 actually working well enough to go in-tree, I'll try again, and file bugs
47 if I can't get it working at that point.)
52 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman