From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] kde-sunset
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 02:12:59
1 Am Donnerstag, 05.12.2013 um 16:49
2 schrieb Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>:
3
4 > On Thu, 5 Dec 2013, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
5 >
6 > > 1. How secure is it to use KDE 3.5 from the kde-sunset overlay? Are
7 > > > there maybe security leaks that are fixed in KDE4 but not in KDE
8 > > > 3.5?
9 >
10 > Definitely. You definitely should not use Internet clients from KDE
11 > 3, and you shouldn't let local users have shells if you're afraid
12 > they could exploit your desktop components. (Then again, you
13 > shouldn't probably give shells to people you don't trust anyway.)
14 >
15 > It's probably safe to use KDE 3 as a desktop so long as you keep in
16 > mind the Internet stuff is full of holes.
17
18 I'm the only user on my computer. But security holes in the internet
19 functionality are really a big problem for me.
20
21 > > 3. Are there any other things that I have to take care of before I
22 > > > install KDE 3.5?
23 >
24 > Just be ready for lots of problems. The overlay has lots of issues
25 > that don't affect people who already have it setup and working, but
26 > can cause issues with fresh attempts at install. I've also found
27 > that some of the patches people have submitted to fix problems have
28 > never found their way into the overlay. I'm guilty myself of having
29 > fixed many problems and then forgetting what I did later because I've
30 > got it installed ok on my own systems. Once you get it on though, it
31 > works.
32
33 Sounds like trouble. I already have enough trouble and don't need even
34 more. ;-)
35
36 > (Here's a hint...don't uninstall Python 2.6...or if you don't have
37 > it, install it. It's still supported in mainstream Gentoo.)
38
39 But whats in a few months when support for Phyton 2.6 will be
40 dropped? Ok, maybe then it will be available as an overlay (and after
41 some time maybe also with security holes included).
42
43 Maybe it is no good idea to use an old and unmaintained piece of
44 software. It seems that the good old days of happy kde computing are
45 over.
46
47 Regards