From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] kde-sunset
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 22:49:23
1 On Thu, 5 Dec 2013, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
2
3 > 1. How secure is it to use KDE 3.5 from the kde-sunset overlay? Are
4 > there maybe security leaks that are fixed in KDE4 but not in KDE 3.5?
5
6 Definitely. You definitely should not use Internet clients from KDE 3,
7 and you shouldn't let local users have shells if you're afraid they
8 could exploit your desktop components. (Then again, you shouldn't
9 probably give shells to people you don't trust anyway.)
10
11 It's probably safe to use KDE 3 as a desktop so long as you keep in mind
12 the Internet stuff is full of holes.
13
14 > 2. I have some KDE4 programs installed. Do I have to uninstall all
15 > KDE4 stuff before I can install KDE 3.5?
16
17 Probably not. I've installed some KDE 4 programs as well. Install as
18 little of KDE 4 as you can though to avoid problems, especially before
19 you've installed kde-sunset. After it's all setup and working, you're
20 much safer adding KDE 4 programs then.
21
22 > 3. Are there any other things that I have to take care of before I
23 > install KDE 3.5?
24
25 Just be ready for lots of problems. The overlay has lots of issues that
26 don't affect people who already have it setup and working, but can cause
27 issues with fresh attempts at install. I've also found that some of the
28 patches people have submitted to fix problems have never found their way
29 into the overlay. I'm guilty myself of having fixed many problems and
30 then forgetting what I did later because I've got it installed ok on my
31 own systems. Once you get it on though, it works.
32
33 (Here's a hint...don't uninstall Python 2.6...or if you don't have it,
34 install it. It's still supported in mainstream Gentoo.)
37 + Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
38 + Sr. UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will
39 + University of Chicago + eventually reproduce the entire works of
40 + James Franck Institute + Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet,
41 + Materials Research Ctr + we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky