From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome and desktop sounds
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:23:47
1 On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 15:13 -0600, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > I have my desktop system configured to use a custom esd command which
3 > sends desktop event sounds to a pair of cheezy little speakers in front
4 > of me (used to be the built-in speakers on my LCD display) but if I play
5 > a CD, or a sound file, the sound goes to a pair of JBL studio monitors
6 > connected to an external amp. When it works, it's very nice, and takes
7 > advantage of the multi-channel hardware in my sound card.
8 >
9 > The trouble is, most of the time when I boot the box, gnome runs the
10 > command "esd --nobeeps", which sends sound through the big speakers.
11 > The command it should run is "esd -nobeeps -as 2 -d pcm.lcd" ('pcm.lcd'
12 > is an ALSA interface defined in my .asoundrc). If I kill esd from
13 > within a session and restart it from a command shell, the desktop
14 > doesn't connect with the new daemon. The same thing happens if I do
15 > this from another VT. If I start esd with the proper command while
16 > logged out of gnome and then log in, the gnome session kills the running
17 > esd and starts its own with the wrong command.
18 >
19 > I've tried putting the proper invocation in /etc/esd/esd.conf but it
20 > only works sometimes.
21 >
22 > Where in the gnome configuration is the command to start esd stored, or
23 > is it hard-coded? I've found switches in the UI and in gconf to turn
24 > esd on and off, but I can't find where the esd startup command is
25 > located.
26 >
27 > Any help?
30 You want to run esd system wide. Use /etc/init.d/esound and
31 modify /etc/conf.d/esound to change it's default settings.
32
33 Daniel