From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: weird volume problem
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 05:53:25
1 Adam Shelley posted <43178BE2.50507@××××××××××.com>, excerpted below, on
2 Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:16:50 -0700:
3
4 > I'm not sure what I have done (i don't think anything) but for some
5 > reason my volume in kmix always goes down to 0%.
6 >
7 > If i use the mouse button to drag the volume up, it goes down gradually
8 > until it gets to 0%. it takes around 2 seconds for the volume to
9 > gradually go down (ie not instant).
10 >
11 > I have since deleted /etc/X11/Xmodmap and /etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap but
12 > the problem still persists. I have also deleted my .kde directory.
13
14 It sounds to me like you may have set fade-out on something, and forgotten
15 about it. You mentioned deleting the .kde dir, which some apps would
16 start from, but you haven't mentioned any other possible auto-start apps
17 you may be running, from your init scripts or whatever.
18
19 Do you use any command line sound (outside X/KDE) at all? Do you run the
20 ALSA init scripts or just let KDE's sound settings turn it on for you?
21 Is it possible to set volume at max and then exit KDE before it gets to
22 zero again (does exiting KDE and X stop the process, IOW)?
23
24 What about running aplay from the command line, with X shut down? You may
25 need to run alsamixer, and possibly the alsa init script, to get sound
26 running in the CLI. Does the same fade effect happen there?
27
28 Try using top or ksysguard's process table to see what other apps may be
29 running. Send sig-15 (terminate gracefully) to them one at a time (using
30 some sense, of course, try user processes before root processes or
31 daemons, don't try to stop kernel processes), and see if you can figure
32 out what process might be responsible.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
38 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
42 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list