From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: K3b can't find source CD to copy
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 12:39:09
1 Serge posted <200512251946.05580.serge@×××××××.com>, excerpted below, on
2 Sun, 25 Dec 2005 19:46:05 +0200:
3
4 > I am using the 0.2.10 version [masked] and it works great.
5
6 That's what I'm running here, and I haven't unmasked it. Perhaps you mean
7 ~amd64 keyworded?
8
9 There's a difference between masked (listed in package.mask, also known as
10 "hard" masked, indicating either serious known issues, or something so
11 raw upstream that there could be unknown serious issues yet to appear) and
12 ~arch keyworded (~ denoting either an upstream beta released on Gentoo for
13 testing, in preparation for upstream full release, thus a version not
14 likely to ever go stable, or an upstream release with no known serious
15 issues, but where the Gentoo ebuild hasn't been fully tested yet, thus an
16 upstream version considered stable, with a Gentoo ebuild in line for
17 stable after testing).
18
19 Especially for those of us running ~arch by default, that difference is
20 huge, because it's the difference between being merged by default in an
21 upgrade, and requiring manual unmasking to get it to merge.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
27 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
31 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list