From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Drag and drop failure - solved!
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:56:09
1 Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> posted
2 1213975533.11573.19.camel@×××××××××.localdomain, excerpted below, on Fri,
3 20 Jun 2008 10:25:33 -0500:
4
5 > I posted to this list yesterday, but in the fatigue-induced fog in which
6 > was operating I probably put in the wrong from address and the email got
7 > trashed by the list server.
8
9 FWIW, I prefer newsgroups and thus use gmane.org to follow most of my
10 mailing lists as newsgroups. Couple that with news profiles that pan
11 (the main gtk app I still use) remembers per group, and I don't have to
12 worry about using the wrong address. Of course, news has always been
13 somewhat obscure, unlike mail, so it's not a solution for everyone, but
14 it works for me. =8^)
15
16 > A switch and switch back of window managers, plus a restart of the user
17 > account solved the problem - kind of a Linux equivalent of Microsoft's
18 > "three R's" technique.
19
20 =8^)
21
22 > I generally agree with you these days about Gnome vs. KDE. It used to
23 > be that Gnome had an edge on really creative and abundant software
24 > design, which is why I settled on it, but with the switch to GTK2 a lot
25 > of really nice features in a lot of apps got dropped and other stuff
26 > just got abandoned.
27
28 That was always my feeling too. GNOME 1 had some promise, just as KDE 2
29 did, but GNOME 2 went one way and KDE 3 went another... and I preferred
30 KDE. KDE 4 has yet to prove itself either way. At minimum, they botched
31 the rollout there. While I'll often run bleeding edge betas, 4.0 was
32 early alpha, there were simply too many missing features to be usable
33 here. 4.1 is supposed to be much better. I'll see, when it comes out.
34 I still believe they'll get there, but given 4.0, I'm not at all sure
35 about 4.1. It may well be 4.2 or even 4.3 before it's actually worth
36 switching from 3.5.x for me.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
44 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list