From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Drag and drop failure - solved!
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:25:39
1 On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 04:41 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > YMMV on this as I'm a KDE power user and as a result, dislike GNOME's
3 > crippled options with a passion, but I'd suggest checking dbus. It
4 > sounds like the dbus messages aren't getting thru telling the app over
5 > which the mouse is hovering that it's there.
6
7 Hey, Duncan,
8
9 I posted to this list yesterday, but in the fatigue-induced fog in which
10 was operating I probably put in the wrong from address and the email got
11 trashed by the list server.
12
13 A switch and switch back of window managers, plus a restart of the user
14 account solved the problem - kind of a Linux equivalent of Microsoft's
15 "three R's" technique.
16
17 I generally agree with you these days about Gnome vs. KDE. It used to
18 be that Gnome had an edge on really creative and abundant software
19 design, which is why I settled on it, but with the switch to GTK2 a lot
20 of really nice features in a lot of apps got dropped and other stuff
21 just got abandoned. I've played a little bit with programming for
22 Gnome. The Gobject pseudo-OO framework is an abomination and the API is
23 pretty messy. KDE just uses plain old C++, which is plenty adequate.
24 KDE packages that I've used on my Gnome desktop, notably k3b for CD and
25 music work, is really solid and feature-rich without being overloaded
26 with cruft. I'm really attached to galeon as a browser, but am
27 switching to firefox for web development, which will run on both Gnome
28 and KDE. Maybe it's time to revisit KDE.
31 Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
32 FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
33 512-259-1190 | (The Roadie) | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
34 http://www.fmp.com | |
39 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list