From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: FWIW, kde-plasma/plasma-desktop and kde-plasma/plasma-workspace no-baloo enhancement bug and patches
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2016 08:06:05
1 Nikos Chantziaras posted on Fri, 01 Apr 2016 07:39:04 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 31/03/16 11:28, Duncan wrote:
4 >> I've been able to patch out the (source) deps, and instead of patching
5 >> the ebuilds themselves, I've placed those patches in the appropriate
6 >> /etc/portage/patches/kde-plasma/plasma-[desktop|workspace]/ locations
7 >> so the ebuilds apply them automatically, and either package.provided
8 >> the baloo package itself to fake the dep for the ebuilds (works, but
9 >> package.provided is deprecated), or created a fake baloo in my overlay
10 >> that installs no files (what I'm actually doing now).
11 >>
12 >> That eliminates the actual baloo installation alone with the couple of
13 >> other packages that only it pulled in on my system.
14 >
15 > I'd say that Gentoo should not maintain their own fork of KDE. It's way
16 > too much work. It's up to upstream to do this.
17 >
18 > In my case, I don't need desktop search and have all that stuff disabled
19 > in System Settings. A KDE build-time option would be useful, but I don't
20 > think they consider this an issue, since users can disable it.
21
22 I'd hardly consider it a fork. It's a couple very trivial patches,
23 deleting/commenting eight lines total between the two packages that
24 simply disable building a couple already spun out into subdirs
25 functionality modules. If it were to make it optional instead of simply
26 deleting the config for it as I've done since I lack the knowledge to
27 properly make it optional, chances are the patch would change only four
28 lines.
29
30 Gentoo already does similar patching, making optional otherwise
31 "required" modules (there's even a custom helper function in the eclass
32 to make it easier, that I didn't choose to use both because I would have
33 had to read up on /them/ instead of direct patching once I figured out
34 what I needed to do, and because as that would have involved patching the
35 ebuild, far harder to maintain as a user on gentoo than the fully
36 automated source patching), as well as far more invasive patching in some
37 cases. To the extent that is considered forking, it's already well
38 forked, and these patches won't change that either way.
39
40 Tho you're correct in that taking it upstream, to the extent upstream is
41 receptive to the idea at all, is by far the best option. But as you
42 mention, not all upstreams are interested.
43
44 But I already got the result I expected (and explicitly offered as a
45 choice if gentoo/kde didn't want to go that way) on the bug, resolved
46 UPSTREAM. However, filing the bug served a couple purposes. It
47 demonstrated how simple a change it is, and publicly presented the option
48 for gentoo/kde to look at, number one.
49
50 Number two, the patches are now out there and known to work for at least
51 the bug reporter, in a centralized place for other users who wish to make
52 use of them, even tho gentoo/kde has chosen not to, at this point. I
53 know there's quite a few patches I've found on bugzilla and applied
54 locally, made available by other users who came across the same problem
55 and found a solution, before the package maintainers chose to apply,
56 sometimes with further modifications, or reject, the same patches. I've
57 simply returned the favor here.
58
59 This second purpose was at least as important as the first, and now the
60 patches are out there for others who can choose to apply them locally or
61 not, given that gentoo/kde has chosen not to apply them as the direct
62 upstream of those gentoo/kde users. Plus, while the patches are trivial
63 enough that finding them for non-gentooers choosing to build from sources
64 may be more work than simply redoing them on their own, unlike the
65 initial case for people doing them on their own, these are now tested and
66 known to work.
67
68 I'm not sure whether I'll try to take them upstream or not. I've
69 submitted previous kde package patches to bugzilla.kde, that never even
70 got a comment from the kde dev. Still, doing so for the #2 reason, to
71 make them available to other users who may look for them, is just as
72 important. But I'd really need to understand better the cmake build
73 system and/or how kde uses it, in ordered to properly make the components
74 a build-time option instead of simply hard-disabling them at build-time,
75 as the current patches do. IOW, the current patches are sysadmin and
76 targeted binary-distro level, giving builders with specific deployment
77 needs in mind a way to disable the otherwise required feature. They
78 really need to be improved to make the currently required feature
79 optional, instead, to be of interest to upstream devs (and the gentoo
80 reply said as much as well), and I don't currently know how to do that
81 properly. Given that the current patches work at the targeted build
82 level, however, they work for me, and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble
83 of learning the cmake system just to submit it upstream, where given past
84 patch submission experience, it may sit without even a dev comment.
85
86 I suppose it's like much else, including submission at the gentoo level.
87 If I get time and don't have anything else more interesting to do, as I
88 did for the gentoo submission, I'll submit it at the kde level as well.
89 Otherwise, I'll simply continue applying the patch locally, and probably
90 updating the gentoo bug in case anyone's using the patches there, when
91 need be as well.
96 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman